Full Licence


To get your full (unrestricted) car licence you must pass the Driver Qualification Test (DQT). The resources on this site should help you achieve this.

You must also have held your green Ps (provisional P2 licence) for 24 months, prove your identity, pass an eyesight test, and pay the licence and test fees (we can’t help with this).

Periods in which your licence has been suspended do not count towards the 24-month requirement.

If you are disqualified from driving on your green Ps, you must reapply and any time accumulated towards the 24-month requirement is void.

An additional 6 months is added to this requirement if you are convicted of using false documents to gain access to licensed premises or to purchase alcohol while on your P2 licence.

Licence features

When you pass the DQT, you can purchase a 1, 3, 5 or 10-year full (unrestricted) car licence. You must be licensed to drive legally and as such will have to continue to renew your licence while you wish to continue driving. This renewal process continues until you no longer require a licence or reach 75 years of age.

If you no longer require a licence you can return it to Roads and Maritime Services and get a NSW Photo Card to use for identification purposes.

From 75 years of age you will be required to pass an annual medical review. From 85 years of age you will also be required to pass a practical driving assessment every second year to keep your unrestricted licence. If you choose not to be tested you can take out a modified licence that will apply restrictions (e.g. distance from home, times during the day) to your driving.

A full car (class C) licence means you’re allowed to drive vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass and vehicles that seat up to 12 adults, including the driver. Apart from these vehicle restrictions, you must follow the road rules like all road users.

You will have a 13-demerit point limit and the general rules like a 0.05 BAC limit, speed limits and ensuring passengers wear a seatbelt or appropriate restraint apply.

Check out the other resources available to help you pass the Driver Qualification Test and get your full (unrestricted) licence:

For comprehensive information on the full NSW licence and Driver Qualification Test, please refer to the Roads and Maritime Services website. The above information is a summary of this content and although current when published may now be outdated. To ensure you are accessing the most current and accurate information, use the RMS website or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.

Share this page with your friends so they can pass their next NSW driving test:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on RedditEmail this to someone